Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Garden Update

We have had some pretty mild temps here lately, but it has been super dry. Overall the garden seems to be slowing down, however, it definitely has some plants that are still hard at work.

What used to be the lovely bed of pumpkins is now quite empty.

The pumpkins started going downhill quite a few weeks ago, due mainly to powdery mildew, I believe, but also I think some insects made their way in as well.

Sadly, what began as about 15 pumpkins initially, dwindled down to these 6. They are very pretty little guys, but time will tell if they got mature enough to actually cook with them.

You can see several of these sweet, little melons still laying around.

And there are even lots of little flowers popping up to make me think that things are still trying to make it.

But, when you look at the overall picture, the plants just dont seem to have it in them any longer.

The basil beckons me with its lovely aroma every time I walk past. I think thats its way of reminding me that I need to make it into pesto before it goes to seed. Its on my list of things to do this week. I have already made one batch. But clearly, I have enough to make much more.

The green beans have really slowed down.

I did get a handful this afternoon.

And this row of beans was one that we planted a month or so ago when we noticed that our initial batch of beans was beginning to taper off.

When I looked today they had some very pretty beans waiting for me.


Quite a few it looks like. I hope we get a good harvest off of them before the first frost arrives.

And wow. I have really enjoyed these peppers. They are very prolific plants and the peppers are very sweet and crispy. And really? I chose them based solely on their name. "Lipstick Peppers". How can you not like that name?

My pickling cucumbers look really bad.

But still seem to want to share their love with me. I have been very, very happy with this variety, "Diamant".

And, of course, not to be forgotten, are my tomatoes. The San Marzanos have proven to be a great sauce tomato. Very meaty and not too many seeds. BUT, Im just not sure that I want to deal with the BER(blossom end rot) every year.


I leave you with this great little cherry tomato called, Isis Candy.

And is it ever sweet. The little guy just loves to pop these in his mouth as we are out harvesting. This will for sure be in my garden next season.

8 comments:

Farmer Jen said...

Those red peppers look wonderful! I will have to look for those seeds next year. Are the peppers sweet or hot?

Pumpkins are mature when they turn orange, so yours look mature to me. (they are beautiful!) The smaller pie pumpkin variety has flesh that is more tender to cook with than the bigger field pumpkin (jack-o-lantern)varieties.

Farmer Jen said...

OK, I just went back and reread what you said about the peppers being sweet & crispy. That answered my question in my previous comment.

warren said...

That's still a first-class bunch of stuff you have there! Pumpkins look great!

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

I LOVE the lipstick peppers! Very pretty. Your pumpkins look so cute - they look perfectly shaped.

This year I grew Sugar Baby watermelons - they don't get much larger than the one in your picture. Even smaller than most cantaloupes. They are incredibly sweet - and the perfect size for us. I will definitely grow them again next year.

Did your mutant squash/pumpkin thingy ever do anything other than bloom?

Carla said...

Yup, it's getting to be that time of year. My garden gave up about a month ago. It looks like you've had a fine haul and now it's time to let the beds sleep a bit.

I wish, wish, wish I'd gotten a pumpkin or two, but it was just too darned hot.

Danni said...

Snort - how funny that we both did garden posts on the same day.
Wow - those beds sure look different from just a month ago! I love that little tiny melon. Very cute. I think K. should use it as the centerpiece in a necklace for me.

Anonymous said...

Yummy,I really need one of those red peppers. I am making a dinner called stuffed zuchinni boats and I need a red pepper for it. Are you going to bring me one? Love you, KElly PS. zuchinni would be nice too. I do have the onion I need.

inadvertent farmer said...

Your garden looks like it was very productive this year...those peppers are lovely! Kim