Monday, April 21, 2008

My little helper

My youngest happens to be quite afraid of many noises. He has always been a little wary of loud noises or even of what he thinks may make a loud noise. The situation seemed to get worse when Shawn had to use the big air compressor one day. He brought it into the house and flipped it on and G was scared to pieces. He ran over to me and cried and cried....to this day he still sees the compressor and moves away from it. He will tell you that daddy had that in the house and it made a loud noise.

Well, since we have moved into the house I have purchased a little Bissell stick vacuum to have on hand for all the hard floor surfaces. It does a really great job and it seems to hold quite a bit of debris. It is really light to use and and even easier to empty out. It does have to be plugged in, so we have to move the plug around while we clean up so we can reach everything. The biggest plus, it is not very noisy. Just a little noisy, as G would say.

I am trying to help him with the noise fear by letting him use things that he seems to think are noisy. The first time I used the little vacuum was when he was up in his seat at the counter eating and I started it in the dining room. I tried to start it in the kitchen and he was having no part of that. The second time he was off playing in the den and just kept his distance. Better, right? He wasnt like an amoeba attached to me! The more I used it the more he seemed to be okay with it. We are up to this right now:


He has conquered the hair dryer and on his way to the little vacuum....I think it may be time to bring in the big guns...the full size vacuum.

6 comments:

Meg said...

Overcoming a phobia, getting clean floors, and making a cute video and blog post out of the story?

That's a win-win-win!

Thanks for the review, too. Our house primarily has hard floors, and the ol' broom and mop combo gets tiresome real quick!

frugalmom said...

meg: Our house, too, has mostly hard surfaces. After dinner J(the older son) gets to sweep the floors. He was super excited to see the new vacuum. He hated using the good ol broom and dustpan!

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Plint can come and give him a ride on the Harley; that might help him conquer his fear of loud noises...

Danni said...

Oh my gosh, I just wanna give him a great big hug. ("turn it off, mommy?") And, hey, nice kitchen, by the way! Very pretty!!! I smiled through this entire post. :-)

Anonymous said...

Awww....my daughter has had that same problem. This year she's terrified of the riding lawnmower and last year she wanted to ride on it ALL the time. :)

frugalmom said...

gnightgirl: PLINT! Ha!

danni: Thanks for liking my kitchen. I love it. Even if I cant get my bread to rise!

farm mom: My other kids had no fear of noises, so this is new to me. One day at a time.