Saturday, June 14, 2008

llama body language

Earlier today I posted about my terrific visit with the llamas. I am still on cloud nine.

The smaller one was a bit more apprehensive. I posted this pic and mentioned that even tho I didnt know much about llama body language, I was pretty sure this look was not a good one. It looked like a stay away from me kinda look to me. Like if you come closer, I may be forced to do something not nice.

I found this while I was doing a little llama research. If you scroll down a little bit you will see a similar ear position on a different llama. It pretty much gets summed up to mean...Stay Away.

It is a warning. Like a pre spit warning. According to the site, it says that llamas dont really like to spit because it leaves such a bad taste in their mouth. So, they try to give warnings so they dont have to. They are cute and they have good communication skills. Who knew?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great expression! One look says it all!

Blessings!
Lacy

frugalmom said...

razor family farms: One look does say it all, huh? She was pretty clear with this one.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

hehe. Good for you! Yep, A llamas ears are the window to it's soul.

Spitting is a last ditch final effort at getting their message across. They dislike the taste about as much as another llama (or human) will. Ewww...

(ps...Which is the reason why I bought a spit mask for my two llamas. Sometimes you have no choice but to make your llamas unhappy, such as with vat visits, feet trims, shearing, etc)

frugalmom said...

twinville: I have heard of the spitting and would not like to experience it, but I am sure if I get to have llamas then I will see it first hand at some point. While we were there the larger llama kept leaning her head back and opening her mouth really wide....I initially wondered if I should take cover, but after the first couple times of seeing her do it...I really think she was yawning. I have a pic of it.