Saturday, June 14, 2008

Meet my new friends

We went to Pontious Farm this morning to pick some strawberries. And pick we did.


We got about 2 lbs of berries. Thats just enuf for one batch of freezer jam. Or some yummy smoothies. Or just some plain, delicious berries! It was actually pretty slim pickins. The patch had been pretty picked over. Seeings how it was on a first come first served system! Must have been many berry hunters before us. But we did okay and we all had a great time. Of course, some of us ate more than we picked!



They had a little spot for the kids where there was a swing set and a huge sandbox and some picnic tables. They had a great, big, super, furry dog named Harley. Who, I have to say, was not all that fond of G. I think she was fine with the bigger kids, but had come to realize that the little ones maybe get a little carried away. So, we move
d on. They had some geese, a farms worth of cats, and some horses.

I, however, was on the lookout for the llamas. One of the owners had said they were over in the barn lot. K and I were searching every nook and cranny we could find. No llamas. Then, I hear K
hollering for me to come quick. She found them. So, G and I stepped up the pace and caught up with K who was on the other side of the field. And there they were. 2 of the cutest things on Earth. They were way back in the middle of the field. The moment they saw us they headed over. I mean the moment they saw us. They were so sweet. They approached us and checked us out. Smelled us to make sure we were okay. We passed the test with flying colors!

You have to understand that as much as I talk about llamas, this was really the first time I have ever got to really see one. Close up. Really touch one and get to watch them. I have always been drawn to them for some reason. But have never had the opportunity to be around them. I fell in love. Just like I knew I would.

Meet Thumbelina.



She was bigger and for sure more friendly than the little one. But, the owner did say that they had just recently gotten the little one and she was still trying to figure everything out. Trying to get used to her new surroundings.

Hook, line, and sinker. How can he resist that? A great big llama hug. If S was ever unsure of my desire to one day have a farm with some llamas...he has no doubts now. I mean, come on, how could he after that?

This is Izzy. I believe, also known as, Isadora Junebug.



She was smaller than Thumbelina, but I am not sure of the age difference. She would eat from your hand, but was really not liking the idea of anyone touching her. I am not real up on llama body language, but this pic looks like she just wants us to leave her alone.



I was in heaven. They were so sweet. So curious. So much softer than I could have imagined. They just soaked up the llama love and gave it all back to you in return. They tried to get a hold of my sunglasses and managed to swipe G's hat!


I could have stayed there for hours just playing and watching and cuddling. But, G had to have his nap. So, we had to leave and everyone was a little sad to do so. But we will for sure go back.



9 comments:

Danni said...

Oh marcee....Thumbelina is absolutely gorgeous....I love, love, love her furry little ears and the way they curl over at the top. And, she's totally kissing on you!! All the llamas I've ever known are a bit stand-offish, like Izzie. Oh, what beautiful animals. And what a fun day for you guys!!

Laura said...

I LOVE llamas! My husband took me to a farm for one of our first dates... They are so beautiful and graceful!

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I never thought I'd find a llama downright cuddly, but you've convinced me.

Can you fit one in a guinea pig cage?

frugalmom said...

Danni: I thought they were fabulous. Thumbelina was so sweet. She loved to be close to you and she loved to give out kisses. Her breath was not so great, but hey, mine isnt either when I first wake up!

fearlesschef: Nice of you to stop by! I love, love, love, llamas. I hope to have some one day.

gnightgirl: Ummm...I dont think so. But they really dont eat very much. So it should be just fine on your zero lot house.

Christy said...

They look so sweet! I may have to research llamas more.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Ooooh! I'm so tickled to read and see your post on your llama experience. It's so positive and full of love for these amazing, gentle, unusual and elegant creatures.

Those two llamas are so beautiful. I can see why you fell in love with them. I love how Thumbelina is giving you the affectionate 'llama breath' and nuzzling you and your hubby. What an honor!

Noone else usually understands why I chose llamas as the first critters to grace our ranch. I cannot imagine not having our two llamas. They bring me such joy and

I also love sharing them with people who come visit our ranch.
They always seem so surprised, like you, that they can be so gentle, curious, friendly, and even outgoing.

I enjoy taking them out for walks and having people smile and point and often turn around and come back for a visit or a photo.

I can't wait till we take them out on the hiking trails wearing their packs, too!

And you know what else. I love my beautiful horse. She is very special. But I must honestly admit that I love my llamas even more.

Anonymous said...

Yay!! I'm so happy for you and your llama time!! Now you really want one, huh?! ;)

frugalmom said...

farm mom: Oh yeah. Can't wait now. I am sure I will be a regular visitor at the farm from now on!

twinville: I loved them to pieces. I wasnt really surprised at how gentle they were, but at how curious. The minute they saw us they had to come over and check it out and make sure it was all good. Then after, I read somewhere that they can recognize the people that are around them most often. Do you find that to be true?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh yes. My llamas seem to prefer having me touch them and handle them much more than strangers.

Whereas my goats will go to anyone for scratches, my llamas will show curiosity towards strangers, but won't let allow strangers to pet them and rub their cheeks right away.

It's as if they have 'polite llama protocol' and that they consider it rude to be touched without proper introductions and time spent getting to know each other. haha