Thursday, June 24, 2010

This for that

Shortly after we moved here to the farm...okay, before we even moved into the farm... I had a plan in place to replace this stove.

And after many, many weeks of contractors, orders, canceled orders, deliveries, inspections...well, you get the idea...It was replaced with this stove.

And I was a very happy girl. In fact, the first thing that got baked in that oven was french fries. And those will make just about anyone happy, right?

In the midst of all the old stove/new stove anticipation, it just so happened that we were making arrangements to get Finley as well.

And it just so happened that the nice woman that we got Finley from just had her stove give out on her. Soooo...I asked if she would like my electric stove since we had just gotten a new one. Boy was she ever happy. She said yes right away.

Now I dont know about you, but I love to barter. LOVE it.

And this is how it came to be that she got our electric stove and we will be receiving 2 free deliveries of hay courtesy of her very nice husband. Isnt that the best?

So, imagine my surprise when she contacted me the other day and said how much she loved the stove, but that she really felt like she wanted to offer me more than just hay delivery.

I said, oh no...thats not at all necessary.

Wait. What? You want me to have what?

Yep! A sweet little goat. His name is Joey(named by the little guy who is very, very proud).

And let me just emphasize the word little. Look at him next to Niko. Surprisingly, he was born before the other goat boys. But he was a multiple so he ended up being quite small.

He has to stand on his tippy toes to reach the hay feeder. (And look at his big belly! He had just eaten(quite a bit it appears) when we picked him up....the next day his belly was not nearly as plump.)

Since he was having a hard time reaching the wall feeder, I put a milk crate in the stall for him that was filled with hay.

And what do you think happened next?

The big boys decided that they needed to check out the crate.

And jump on the crate.

Look at them looking all innocently at me as they eat the hay I set out for Joey.

So yeah, I gave away a stove and got a goat. I have to say thats never happened to me before.


13 comments:

Brenda said...

I think it was a good trade. He's cute and it looks like he fits right in.

goatgirl said...

One can never have too many goats. Do you have any more stoves? I have a goat I'd like to trade.

Sue M. said...

Love Joey! That's the name of my son ;-).... An Indian would say, "good trade". I'm part Indian also, so I have the right to say that. LOL

Love your new stove, and Joey. Your plate is not only filled, but overflowing...good for you, Marcee!

sunset pines farm said...

that is totally out of my files. I LOVE LOVE to barter like that.
Feels great, doesn't it??
:)

Carla said...

What do they say, "Now you're cookin' with gas!" Hooray!! I cannot cook on an electric stove.

A new goat! You are fast becoming a farm life girl. What is it about goats and the need to be up on something? They must have invented the King of the Mountain game.

Farmer Jen said...

Barter is indeed good. OK. I have been busy today. Sorry it took me so long to read about your new baby, Joey. He is very cute! So four goats x four hooves = 16 hooves. I get it now! Remedial goat math.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to trade a stove for a goat! :) Joey is adorable. Love your blog!

Country Girl said...

I too love to barter. I prefer and have a gas stove over electric. So nice to see you living up your dream.

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

Look at that cute little Joey! He is just adorable. I think I'm going to sign up for the Stoves for Goats program. Can I register on-line?

frugalmom said...

Brenda: Good trade indeed. Joey is super sweet. He loves to follow my little guy around in the pasture. And my little guy will say...I think he wants to be MY goat.

goatgirl: I dont have anymore stoves, but I do have a microwave. And since your goat is earless that should even itself out, right?? :-)

sue M: Thank you!!! I love my plate right now :-)

Pollys path: I LOVE it also. Its just so rewarding somehow.

CeeCee: Ugh...electric stoves....I was spoiled back home when I had a gas one. I was very lucky this time around that they had recently installed a gas fireplace....gas stoves in this are are not very plentiful.

Farmer Jen: Glad you got to catch up!!! now you can see what I had 16 goat feet, huh?? :-)

morning bray farm: Thank you so much for reading my blog! I had never traded a stove for a goat before. Dont tell anyone, but I think I would do it again. :-)

Country girl: Thank you :-)

Penny: Dang it...registering online...why didnt I think of that??? Now if only if I had something as cool as a goat to trade for a washing machine...well, then Id be set.

Helene said...

Looking at your goats makes me miss our Callie, a Spanish goat, gone two years now. I must get more goats; the brush in the woods is getting out of control.

I love bartering,too. We just installed an AC; I bartered a table, some handmade custom curtains, and typing.

I'm just not tough enough to do Texas heat without an AC.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Hey girlie; Wanted to stop in and let you know I'm reading every word, loving your blog more than ever. All so exciting to watch your dreams come true!

luv ya!

frugalmom said...

Awww...Hi Lowli...Im glad that you let me know that youre still reading. I love it here. Totally and completely.

Miss you tho. And our walks...especially when I would bring you egg rolls. :-)

Thanks for taking a minute to comment. Love you!!!