Friday, April 20, 2007

Husbands say the darndest things

My sweet, loving husband made dinner last night while I was with my daughter at her soccer game. It was really good. A corn saute and some chicken fajitas with red peppers and sweet onions. A little fruit on the side.

I was commenting on how good it was and how I was so thankful. He went on to say that he had tried something a little different this time and when he was making the fajitas he basically pan fried the chicken with some olive oil and then used some red wine to get the "nice" from the bottom of the pan. Now mind you he was talking to me while doing other things and the kids were talking, too. You know, the average dinner time hour. Otherwise referred to as the "witching hour"...the kids go a little wacko, the baby needs everything done all at once. and you are trying to make dinner plus quiz the kids on their spelling words! So, it took a minute for what he said to sink in.

"The what", I ask? "The nice", he says. I'm thinking, huh? And then it hits me. And I laugh out loud. "You mean the fond?", I say. "Yeah, the fond. Nice, fond...I knew it was one of those nice words."

Too funny. It makes me smile just to think of it now.

2 comments:

Mim said...

That's what my sister used to call the edge of her blankie. The Nice.

curlygrrl said...

Hi! I just found your blog, I have been struggling with the local/organic thing too. I just love going to the tailgate markets and buying the ultra-fresh food. Yesterday I bought lettuce, arugula, and spinach with the roots still on picked the day before. I swear you can taste the vitamins! :)