Monday, April 30, 2007

Yogurt, yogurt, bo bogurt, bananafana, fo fogurt...

I have been wanting to do this for some time. although I never actually made it past the, "I want to do that" stage. Sure, I had entertained the idea of purchasing a maker, but I just knew there had to be a more cost efficient way to do it. Also, I just knew there had to be a way to do it where I didn't have to buy another small appliance.

So, my curiosity and excitement were at their peak when I came across this. Just what I had been looking for.

This weekend we put the technique to the test and our taste buds rejoiced at the wonderful yumminess. It was so easy and didn't take much time at all. The supplies are very easy to find, in fact, I had them all here at home. It makes your basic. plain variety leaving you endless ways to change it up. We happen to like vanilla. So, when it was all said and done, we added 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1/4C of sugar and it was really great. It was more tangy than what we have experienced with store bought yogurt, but I think it is because we added way less sugar. I just store it right in the glass jar in the fridge. And when I get to about half way thru the jar then I will make another batch.

You should try it. Let me know what you think.

12 comments:

Liz said...

Hey, glad to hear my yogurt technique worked well for you! I can't imagine going back to store-bought now! :)

Anonymous said...

This looks good. I think I am going to give it a try. I finally just made your pretzels this weekend. My family ate the entire batch up the same day and is asking for more. Thanks for sharing such wonderful recipes!

frugalmom said...

liz: Thank you so much for the recipe and the step by step directions! My family loves it, especially the little guy. We made it Sat and then chilled it over night...it seems like since then it has gotten quite runny. Any ideas on how to fix that?

frugalmom said...

boogiemum: Hey! Good to hear from ya. The pretzels are a huge hit here, too. They go thru the whole batch so fast! The dough freezes really well, so I tend to do that. That way I have it ready to go and just pop it out to thaw.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

My boss used to make his own yogurt, it was delicious; I'll have to give this a whirl. I think he put his in the oven, or am I making it up? I'll go find out.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I've been reading up since I read this post, and it's stated a few places that if you add 1/4 of nonfat dried milk powder to the milk at heating stage, your yogurt will be thicker and creamier.

frugalmom said...

Gnightgirl: I saw that someplace, too. Was it 1/4 C ?

Liz said...

Sorry the yogurt is kind of runny. I, too have heard about adding 1/4 c. dry milk powder. Also, the starter you use could have something to do with it. You could try using more next time.

Hope your second batch comes out thicker!

Mim said...

Hmmm, I may have to try this. Sounds simple.

frugalmom said...

liz: Thanks for the advice. I have purchased some dry milk and we will see how that goes. I was also thinking I could maybe use whole milk. Since it has more fat it may be creamier.

frugalmom said...

Mim: Very simple. The cooling is really the longest watch and wait part. The other stuff you just set aside and wait.

Liz said...

Aha! It's the milk.
I usually use whole milk, and the one time I tried skim, it was runny. You should be good to go with whole milk.