Wednesday, January 16, 2008

So true

My husband sent me this.

I don't know about you, but this is strikingly true in my family. It really is quite interesting. When my Ma was younger she got to pretty much have the run of the blocks around her house. She got to walk thru the celery fields to go meet my grandpa at work. (Is that right Ma, or am I totally making that up?)

In my childhood I got to walk to the little shopping mall that was quite some ways from my home. I got to go to the swimming pool that was across the street from my home. I got to do this all by myself as long as I came home and checked in every once in awhile. There was a park across the street as well. It had nature trails and a nature center. This I went to along with a friend and we walked the trails and played in the creek. Looking for tadpoles and minnows.

My children....they get to play in the yard. They got to walk to the neighbor's house, like 4 houses down the street. We lived on a culdesac. They got to ride their bikes down to the beginning of the street and then turn around and come back. Now that we have moved we get to start all over again till we get things figured out.

It is amazing to me how much more sheltered our children have become. For reasons that makes sense and for reasons that don't. Things that happen in the world today make it so that our kids wont be nearly as street smart as they could be. The things that I learned along the way as I was able to explore and inquire. My kids wont have that. At least not as kids. In some ways I see that as a hindrance. In other ways I see it as a blessing. I mean, not being out there keeps them from being hurt, right? But then not being out there keeps them from learning. Keeps them from being able to see it all and know how to make the choices that they may need to make. It is a double sided coin.

7 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I left the library the other day, and notice an approximately 10 year old kid approaching the bike rack. Helmet on, backpack on, unlocking his bike, while I walked across the lot, trying to guess who he was with. No one! The kid got on his bike and rode off, while I then wondered how far he had to ride, to get home.

And yes, I was walking and riding my bike to the same mall you hung out in, and riding to that dairy queen out on philo road, and riding the bus from east Urbana to country Fair mall.

With NO CEL PHONES to check in!

Interesting points you make, for each scenario.

Unknown said...

I agree. This is such a good point. Our children are more sheltered and yet are growing up too fast all at the same time.

frugalmom said...

Gnightgirl: In some ways it is kinda sad, really. Ina sense, they are missing out on a huge part of growing up.

Growing in Grace (Nicole): I totally agree. I wish I could choose the things i would like to be different and it not have an effect on everything else.

Anonymous said...

I think it's a tough time for both children and parents. My kids are fortunate enough to have two acres to romp on. They have farm animals, wild animals, gardens and natural plant life to explore. And plenty of mudpuddles to jump in. (I'm a firm believer in letting the kids get dirty and play in those puddles, much to my husband's despair.) But, what happens when they're older and want to ride those bikes on outta here? That scares me, if you go to those sites that give you the location of sexual predators in your area you'll damn near pass out!! I have like 15 in my area and my parents have 25 near them. (predators love rural area I guess.) And those are just the registered ones! It's a scary time to let your kids roam free, but I agree. What are we sacrificing by not letting them? Tough stuff.

Anonymous said...

Thats a true story, and I'm sticking to it..actually walked to foundry to meet dad after school, and mom never questioned where I was. Ohhhh, the good ole days!
m

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

On the news last night: 10 year old kid rids a bus to the mall with 8 year old cousin in tow, security guard notices them walking around alone, calls parents....Dad arrested.

Dad was at home, drunk, it's true...but it all came about because kids were at the mall at the age of 10. Kid now in state custody.

Not sure how I feel about the turn of events on this one.

frugalmom said...

Gnightgirl: Thats one of those on the fence deals. Would you rather them be home alone with a drunk or out in public roaming around unattended? Are they better off in the state's custody or with a drunk...at least with the drunk they know how to navigate by now.....hard one it is.