Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Radicchio

Anyone out there had this? Loaded with magnesium and potassium....that's great. However, it is bitter, bitter, bitter. That sentence there at the beginning of the page I linked to..."mildly bitter"....that is a tad deceiving. Have you ever had a bitter cucumber? That is what the taste reminded me of.

I had this great salad all laid out. This was going to be a new one for us, never having eaten it before. Radicchio, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, green onions....had my kids chopping all the veggies while I made the chicken to accompany my grand veggie delight. The salad then had this great creamy dressing to go with it....some mayo, some capers, some dill, some red wine vinegar, olive oil....it was quite tasty. Not tasty enuf to mellow out the radicchio, tho. Even my little guy, who eats anything, was not having it. He was eating all the capers out of the dressing(for which I am surprised I had enuf to add to it because he kept reaching his little mitts onto the cutting board to grab all the capers!)

Have you guys eaten this? Is it supposed to be way bitter? I still have one head left. The kids are frightened that I will attempt to use it again. Any ideas? Maybe a tried and true recipe that you keep going back to? Help.....

10 comments:

Danni said...

Ah yes, radicchio...so bitter I just don't get why people who've had it knowingly add it to their salads. Is it an acquired taste? It overpowers everything else around it. Maybe that's it...one only add it once - prior to ever having tasted it- and then never again! I'm with you, though...there must be *something* this vegetable is good in, right?

Anonymous said...

Nope, never tried it, probably never will. I'm one of those people who cannot tolerate bitter flavors. Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Yea... just don't use it for dinner Thursday nite..promise!!! mom

Meg said...

I really like radicchio, but when it's grown in the fall, it gets sweeter when the first frost hits. That happens to some other vegetables (kale, carrots), but raddichio is so darn bitter when it's been grown in warmer temperatures that some cold weather REALLY makes a difference--it's something about the plant needing more energy and converting its starches into sugars as a result.

Otherwise, I can only eat it if it's a little bit mixed in with a lot of lettuce or spinach. Too bad it's not all more mild, because it's a cool looking vegetable!

frugalmom said...

Meg, I'm thinking so far you are outvoted! I make a promise to you that I will try it again this fall and see the difference. But for now...I think I will pass!

Meg said...

lol! Yep, looks like it. A couple years ago I would have been in the "blech!" category. I'm still surprised at how much different stuff I eat now that we grow most of our own--but you still can't get me near a hot pepper or a beet. gag.

frugalmom said...

Meg, Beets? I love them. Love them. MMMMMM....I can taste them now.

Anonymous said...

You can try something like this.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_28147,00.html

Grilled greens sound interesting, I know, but I swear its good. Try adding something like pine nuts, it'll tone it down a bit. The carmelization takes the edge off.

Good luck, if you try it.

Mrs. M said...

We love it in a salad with Orzo pasta. It's called Everything Orzo...very garlicky, but super tasty. I'm in the middle of a move so the recipe is packed away, unfortunately.

Ali B. said...

Yeah, bitter. BITTER. I can eat it, but I'm the only one in the house, and I think I only eat it because I feel like I have to. It's okay in very small doses, chopped very thin and mixed with other fresh greens. But in that case, it almost acts more as an herb.

Yeah. Bitter.