Friday, March 7, 2008

Tasty afterschool snack

Or really a whenever you're hungry snack. I saw this in a magazine or something quite some time ago when I was at the library. Of course, I dont have the actual magazine to refer to, but here is the general idea. Or my version, anyway.

Fruit salsa and cinnamon chips

6 flour tortillas
butter
cinnamon
sugar

Variety of fruits, diced
apple jelly
brown sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay tortillas on a baking sheet. Spread very thin layer of butter on each tortilla. Then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. I have my cinnamon and sugar already mixed together in a shaker because the kids use it often. So, it works out nicely for this recipe. Place baking sheet in preheated oven for 5 minutes. Take out and let cool.

While tortillas are baking, mix together the apple jelly and the brown sugar and pour into a saucepan. Heat until the jelly and brown sugar melt. Then take off heat. I used about 1/4 C apple jelly and 1 T brown sugar.

The jelly step does not take very long, but you can go ahead and get your fruit ready. Use any assortment that you like. I happened to use a banana, 3 kiwis, and 1 gala apple. I diced it all up and tossed it into a bowl.

Then you pour the jelly mixture over the fruit and mix it together till the fruit is nicely coated.

Once your tortillas are cool enuf to handle then break them up into chip sized pieces.

Spoon some fruit onto a tortilla chip and enjoy! The kids loved it! They were surprised at how filling it actually was. It isnt a total health snack, but the kids were throwing down on all the fruit...even without the tortilla chips. So, in my book, its a winner!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, very interesting. I can't wait to try this!