Sunday, July 15, 2007

Farmer's Market Bounty

I made a haul this week. Basil(for pesto), tomatoes, yellow beans, cabbage, cantaloupes, purple peppers, and not shown...pork chops.

Has anyone had a purple pepper? Is it gonna be sweet like a red one? Or more like a green one? It smells more like a green one. I got them for fajitas and am hoping they will be on the sweeter side. I will have to let you know.

In the background you will see some bags of corn and green beans. I am going to freeze this stuff and hopefully eat off it all winter long! I have a ways to go as far as quantity, but I am working on it!

Which leads me to by next question...when you blanch your corn for freezing do you cut it off the cob before or after blanching? I did mine before. Is it always so messy? I am still finding corn kernels on my kitchen floor!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! That's quite a haul! I've never had purple peppers either, but they look gorgeous. I udually blanch on the cob. I just found out from Phelan that you can freeze the corn right on the cob too without loosing much integrity. How cool is that? Corn on the cob in January!! :)

frugalmom said...

farm mom: Thanks for the info on the corn. I will have to try it that way as well. I was afraid the corn stored on the cob would be really mushy....For me tho, since I have to endure the braces for 11 more mos I will have to wait on the corn on the cob and just stick to the kernels!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

I usually cook the corn off the cob for 10 minutes with water, sugar and salt and put in baggies for winter eating. Less room in the freezer off the cob. I have never had a purple pepper either but it looks great.

ExpatChef said...

They are such a pretty color. Thinner fleshed than either green or red and the flavor is somewhere in the middle. Like milder green pepper flavor. I cut the corn off the cob, but it usually ends up as corn and scallion pancakes with rosemary-goat cheese topping!