Saturday, July 7, 2007

One Local Summer


One Local Summer Week 2

Had a little bump in the road this week due to my appendectomy. Had a great meal planned for this and it just didn't all come together...for obvious reasons. Needless to say we still were able to make a great local meal. The eggplant however, was not a hit. Not a hit at all. Maybe it was overripe, maybe I need a different way to cook it, maybe it was all the meds I was on and it just tasted odd. I am not sure.

Marinated Grilled Eggplant---Farmers Market 5 miles
Roasted Green Beans---Kleiss Farms 18 miles
Roasted New Potatoes---organic---Triple S Farm 50 miles
Milk---hormone free---Oberweis Dairy---180 miles
Crusty White Bread---not local

6 comments:

shy_smiley said...

I love food. But I don't love eggplant. I've tried and tried but I can't develop a taste for it. Not even when it's breaded and fried and smothered in cheese (eggplant parmigian). Might just be that you don't like eggplant.

And that's OK. Look at what a great meal you rustled up, appendectomy and all!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Never had eggplant. The meal looks great! Hope all is going well for you after the surgery.

frugalmom said...

shy_smiley: I think I will give it one more shot. Maybe after I am all recovered and things are back to normal. I hate to not like it. I love the way it looks!

Frazzled Farm Wife: Thanks for the well wishes. I am feeling much better.

Anonymous said...

I never liked eggplant, either--until I breaded it lightly and baked it in the oven in a pan lightly coated with olive oil. Stick-free pan works best so you can turn the slices without losing the breading. Then top with a sprinkle of parmesan and serve with a side of homemade marinara. I probably made it at least once a week last summer!

frugalmom said...

Laurie: Ooohhhh...that sounds good. I will have to give it a try. Thanks!

mary grimm said...

Very impressed that you were cooking anything, much less getting it together for a local meal. Hope you're feeling better.