Okay. So, I bought this new cookbook.
Can I just say that every recipe I have tried thus far has been really, really good.
You have got to try this dish. I am telling you, you will love it.
Tomato Pesto Tarts by Andrea Chesman
2 lbs tomatoes, cored and sliced 1/4 in thick
1 t salt
2 unbaked 9 in or 10 in homemade or store bought pastry rounds
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 C freshly grated Parmesan
1/2 C pesto
1/2 C grated mozzarella
1. Cover a large work surface with a double layer of paper towels. Arrange the tomatoes in a single layer on the towels. Sprinkle evenly with the salt. Let stand for 30 min.
2. Preheat oven to 375. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
3. Place the pastry round on the baking sheet.
4. Brush the pastry with the beaten egg, leaving a 2 in. border around the edges. Sprinkle 1/4 C of the Parmesan over each pastry. Spread 1/4 C of the pesto over the Parmesan on each pastry.
5. Place a double layer of paper towels over the tomatoes and press firmly to dry. Arrange the tomatoes on top of the pesto in overlapping circles. Sprinkle the mozzarella over the tomatoes. Fold the dough up to partially cover the filling and crimp to finish the edges.
6. Bake for 25-35 min, or until golden.
7. Let stand for 5 min. Cut into wedges and serve warm.
The only changes that I made aside from halving it and only making one tart was that I used Asiago cheese instead of Parmesan.
It was so good. I mean double dog dare you good. You have got to try it and let me know what you think. I bet you could even make it more like a pizza and replace the pastry dough for a pizza dough and still use all the same toppings....oh my, oh my.
14 hours ago