Thursday, July 24, 2008

Mama rule #2

Okay, so from my last post you already know Mama rule #1....You dont get to turn past the age of 8.

Mama rule #2: If mama is on the phone then you are not to interrupt. Now, there are exceptions to this rule. Are you bleeding? Are you injured? Did you just break an appendage? Those are pretty much the only exceptions that make it okay to talk to mama while she is on the phone.


My kids have become quite creative in veering from the rule. There is the "whisper to me while I am on the phone." Its a form of talking, just muc
h quieter, therefore in their minds, a perfectly acceptable veer.

We also have the "come and stand next to me while I am on the phone and stare." Their reasoning on this one is that if they stand there long enuf and stare at me then I will for sure get annoyed and then ask them what they need.


There is also the "come stand next to me with object of question in hand, such as a certain video, remote to the tv, empty bowl(which means they would like to fill it with a snack), etc." Then they figure, all I have to do is make a nod of the head or give the angry mom look and then they will have their answer. No talking involved there, right?

My all time favorite is the "write a note and bring it to me and then I have to try and answer without actually speaking to them." In theory, this sounds like a good idea until the next thing you know they have a whole conversation written out on this little piece of scrap paper that is as big as a gum wrapper and then at some point I have stopped listening to the person on the phone so that I can concentrate and squint really hard to read the paper. This one has many times led to mama putting up the hand. Meaning Im not taking any new requests at this time, but you can take a number and have a seat if you so desire.

These are just a few of the requests I have gotten recently.



Now, I have to say that these are quite simple and not the ordinary ones that I receive, but still requests that the kids feel are important enuf that they cant wait till I am finished with my call. But, as was pointed out to me earlier today, in the kids' minds everything is very important to them....all the time......as their time line is much different than mama's.

7 comments:

Danni said...

..."This one has many times led to mama putting up the hand. Meaning Im not taking any new requests at this time, but you can take a number and have a seat if you so desire."
ha ha ha ha...this totally cracked me up! I can so see this hand! I think my mom used to do the exact thing! :-)

In your children's defense, however (be sure to tell them I said this), just how long ARE your phone calls that your kids feel they have to converse with you on pieces of paper??? :-) :-)

frugalmom said...

Danni: You couldnt possibly be implying that I talk on the phone too much, could you? Because I could see where you may say that I am on the computer too much, but the phone? How would I ever have time for that?

Danni said...

I just had to ask...call it a hunch. :-)
But yeah, I get it. I have no time to talk on the phone anymore either.

Anonymous said...

My kids do the same thing. I have gotten so frustrated with this that I have instituted a new rule. If you ask me when I am on the phone and you could of waited, then the answer is automatically "no." It seems like my kids wait until I am on the phone hoping my defenses are down and I just may let them have a cookie with hopes I am not thinking as clearly.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Adorable; you're not going to throw those notes away are you?

Psych.

I have a confession: When I would sometimes get caught in a conversation with, say, an obsessive talker, I would write MY note to Brian, saying "Call my name!" and then, "oh! Sorry, gotta go, Brian's calling me."

I hope none of those folks read this blog...

frugalmom said...

gnightgirl: Oh yes, I remember those tactics of yours! I am pretty sure I got wrangled into doing that for you as well. But what I really remember is you taking me to church with you and us writing notes back and forth thru the WHOLE sermon on the church bulletin.....

Boogiemum: The automatic no...I forgot to mention that one! We also have that in place if the kids ask us if they can do something with said friend...and said friend is standing right next to them...waiting for the answer...

Leighann of Multi-Minding Mom said...

I'm *trying* to teach the 4yo not to talk to whoever is using the phone.